HOME       ABOUT NFED       OUR BLOGS

Tuesday 21 February 2017

Savelugu's Top 6

So, team Savelugu are now half way through their placement; we’ve all had some great experiences over the last 6 weeks. Two of our amazing team members, Hannah, from Scotland, and Shirley, from the central region in Ghana, are here to tell you their top 3 moments of what’s gone on in Savelugu so far! Hope you all enjoy!

Hannah:

   
Hannah with her host brother and sister,
Kobby and Grace 
         
1. For me, one of the best things about Savelugu is all the children. Being so far away from home in an entirely different culture, it’s no wonder that sometimes I do get a little bit lonely. The thing that  makes this easiest to deal with is the kids; especially my younger host brother and sister. Kobby, 7, and Grace, 3, are always so happy to see  me when I come home from work. We spend evenings talking about my home, their home, and  playing traditional Ghanaian games. Their excitement is such a pick me up!

      2. One other thing that I love about here in Savelugu is the food. I am incredibly fussy back home, but coming here has widened my taste  palette. My host mum has been brilliant about catering to my likes and dislikes, and I look forward to dinner every night! I’ve tried many new traditional Ghanaian foods, such as TZ, fufu and banku. Although they are not to my tastes, I am glad I've tried things that I wouldn’t usually get back home.

3.    3. Finally, one other thing I love about living in Savelugu is living with my counterpart, Sylvia. She is from the Volta region in Ghana, and sometimes I don’t know what I would do without her. Whether it’s getting sandy stains out my white t-shirts, or getting rid of cockroaches and lizards from our washroom, she does it all without even blinking an eye. We wash our clothes once every weekend, and we use this time to talk about each other’s home lives; whether that be about religion, jobs or the future. Living with Sylvia has been amazing, and I’m looking forward to seeing what the next half of the placement brings.


Hannah, Shauna and Sylvia at mid term in February 

S   Shirley:
Shirley at Savelugu Senior High School giving a talk on
sexual health 

I came on placement with high hopes and this is the 6th week and I have not regretted joining ICS. These are some of my best experiences on placement so far;


1. One of my very best experiences and times I look up to on this placement is coming back from work to meet my host brothers and sisters all hearty and ready to ask me how my day went. Also, later in the evenings on most days, helping my host mothers to cook supper. This experience has rather been an eye opener for me because I have had the opportunity to learn new culinary skills and learn more about my host family’s culture. This is absolutely my home away from home!

2. Placement is all about working and helping the vulnerable in the society. So, it gladdened my heart when my teammates and I met with women from the various communities we are working in and sensitized them on the need to take very good care of their water sources so that their produce will be of good quality hence bring them more income which will better their lives. There was a resource person from World Vision who also reiterated the need to practice the maintenance culture so that whatever water source they have will last long for the future generation. It was a great time with the women as they all welcomed the idea of water sustainability and were ever ready now to make the most out of their water resources.
Rachel, Shirley and Sylvia at the water
sensitization for our communities 
3. Six weeks into placement has been both fun and educational. As part of event days on the ICS calendar, International Day of Sexual and Reproductive Health Awareness was celebrated at the Savelugu Senior High School and that was a very successful event held. There were several talks on teenage pregnancy, the use of contraception and sexually transmitted infections. Since we were talking to young adults, more emphasis was laid on the need to abstain from premarital sex which can hamper their education. Statistics were given on the rate of teenage pregnancy, use of contraceptives and STI’s across Northern Ghana. There also was a drama session to crown the whole activity on that day.  The feedback was awesome which indicated that the education given on that day will linger on these youth’s mind and will help them in their daily living. Thanks to the wonderful teamwork done by every member of our team. 

These are some of the best moment so far - we look forward to seeing what the rest of the placement brings!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Good work done ladies. I'm filled with joy whenever I see women work passionately and selflessly. The world needs more like you

    ReplyDelete