HOME       ABOUT NFED       OUR BLOGS

Tuesday 13 September 2016

Becoming one with Ghana

UK volunteer Dionne Heslop sums up her experience at the end of the ICS placement

 

Volunteers amid the organized chaos of Tamale market
 
Let’s be honest: this experience has not been easy. As someone who hasn't had much experience with the poverty line or different cultures, it has been an almighty shock to my system. Yet it has also been the best experience of my life.

I came here with an open mind and was ready to take on any challenges coming my way. Admittedly, I was scared when we landed in Accra – which seems silly now. It wasn’t just a little bit different from what I was used to. It was a whole different world. My first experience in Accra was of a man who approached the open minibus window where I was sitting, demanding I buy some sort of child's toy that had obviously seen better days. All I could do was pray the red light would hurry up and turn to green.
Thankfully, Tamale was a whole different story. The streets are constantly alive with music and people dressed in brightly coloured clothing, rushing around trying to sell flip flops, fruit or even fish carried on their heads in metal bowls or wicker baskets. The biggest challenge I faced in Tamale, was trying not to get run over by the crazy ‘I do what I want’ traffic. I'm not even sure if they have any road laws in Ghana.

After my short time in Tamale I was all set to move in with my host family in Savelugu, they could not have been any more welcoming and willing to help us settle in but, another culture shock. The squat-down toilet and thought of washing from a bucket of rain water every day for the next three months was pretty daunting. You only get one bucket of water per shower, so you have to use the right amount of water for your hair, and then leave enough to wash with. I've become a master of this. Also, if it doesn't rain, then you don't get any water.

Road lead to Savelugu lake


At first, being in Savelugu, where there isn't much to do proved difficult. I don't agree with the food and the food doesn’t agree with me, and that is something that hasn’t got any easier. Savelugu is a quiet town with one bar, many shops that sell the same things and the forever beautiful lake. It took us a while to discover the lake, but we have still managed to make a lot of great memories there. It's quiet, secluded and a lovely place in which to relax and reflect, or in our case play spar (a Ghanaian card game) and kick the football around. ‘The mango tree’ is also a place where all meet and think of endless ways to try and entertain ourselves.

Working out here has not been easy to say the least: the cramped office and numerous dead ends can be frustrating, but getting to meet the working women from surrounding communities has been a pleasure. Learning about the way the women make a small living and what it entails to do so has been mesmerising, and they are truly amazing for what they do on on a day-to-day basis. Juggling family life with processing and selling their products all whilst under the poverty line is something to be proud of. It may not seem like a lot to us, but out here, trust me it is

I have met some amazing friends, who I've made some of the best memories with. I've lived with the kindest, funniest family and I've helped vulnerable women better their small income-generating activities. I feel great for being a part of it all.

What was out of my comfort zone has now become comfortable.

All in all: what a strange, wonderful place. 

After financial training at Savelugu information center

1 comment:

  1. WHENEVER YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONES NEED A LOAN UPSTART LOAN IS THE BEST, TESTED AND TRUSTED. BEWARE OF RIPPERS ONLINE.( Email: upstartloan@yahoo.com or text/call +1(574) 301-1639 ).

    Good day, Out of my busy schedule just feel like to quickly share this because i know am going to save thousand of lives with this. A lot of persons will agree with me that fake loan lenders is no longer a news to us it has been trending for some months now and i was also victimized when i tried seeking for a loan for the invention of a new patent and invest on stock. After so many failed attempt to get a loan there was one company who proved themself to be different among the rest, They are trust worthy, straight forward, honest and reliable. I won't say much because as the saying goes "experience is the best teacher", I will candid advice anyone who need a loan of any amount to kindly contact this one and only true lenders UPSTART LOAN on their email address: ( upstartloan@yahoo.com ) Or you can as well text/call them on ( +1(574) 301-1639 ) . I remain my humble self Wesley Kurt Dwayne, I reside at Park Ave Richmond VA 23220. Say no more to be victim of scam enough is enough for the wise, Don't trust until you verified contact UPSTART LOAN now and share your own awesome experience with them.

    ReplyDelete