HOME       ABOUT NFED       OUR BLOGS

Thursday 21 April 2016

Introducing Cohort 3: Expectations & Realities


Cohort 3 in Savelugu, ready for our first community visit!


On the 4th April 2016, the United Kingdom volunteers (UKVs) and in country volunteers (ICVs) that would be working on the NFED project in Savelugu met for the first time. Both groups had high hopes and expectations about what their placement would be like. For the first post in this cohort's blog, we will be asking the volunteers what these expectations were, and how they measure up against reality.


 
Adam:

“My expectation of the office was pretty close to reality, having seen a picture of it on the NFED website. So far, the reality of it has exceeded my expectations so far, mostly because of the people I have met since being in Ghana. With regard to my host home, I was expecting to integrate myself into the reality of Ghanaian life, and to try good, home cooked Ghanaian food. My expectations have definitely been met, and I'm really enjoying living among a warm and welcoming community.”


Freya:

“In terms of my host home and life in Ghana, I was hoping for running water, something which isn't present here in the north! I wasn't expecting as many power cuts as there have been, and they have certainly presented a challenge for us at times. I read a lot of blogs that the previous cohort posted, so I knew what to expect from both the office and the placement. I'm definitely enjoying my time in Ghana, although there are certain aspects of the UK, especially food, that I miss a lot.”



Holly:

“I didn't expect to have such a luxurious house home, with a flatscreen TV and flushing toilet! I thought we'd be a little busier than we have been, but it is still very early in the programme and we have already done one community visit. I also didn't anticipate that the group would be as close as we have been so quickly, but this is something that I've really enjoyed since starting the programme.”





Latifa:


“I wasn't expecting to be sharing a room with someone else, as I'm very used to having my own room at home. I was also hoping for more freedom, in the sense that we could travel around, but I understand that being integrated in our community is a really important and actually invaluable part of the ICS experience. I knew what I was expecting when it came to the work we have been doing, and have been enjoying it so far.”



Luke:


“I expected a larger office, maybe even with air conditioning! Not to say that I dislike the office we are using obviously. I also expected a self contained house rather than a compound for my host home, but I am really enjoying the community aspect of living in such a place. I also didn't expect to pick up so much Dagbani, but again, this is very much a positive. Food-wise, I’m looking forward to a little more variation, as I have only sampled a few Ghanaian dishes since being here.”



Mahfuz:

“My expectations with regards to the office were not high, I was not anticipating much space, as I knew we would be spending a great deal of time among the communities. I also didn't think that the UKVs and ICVs would become so close so quickly, it's something that is really good to see.”





Mohammed:

“I didn't think that the UKVs and ICVs would become so friendly so quickly, but I am very thankful for that. I also didn't think that the UKVs would take so well to Ghanaian life, like riding bicycles to and from work, compared to what their life was like in the UK. With regards to work, I was expecting to have a working space, but was surprised to have our own office, as I thought we would be sharing with the NFED team. I also thought the work would be based more in Savelugu rather than in the outside communities, but I'm very happy that they are being included in our mission.”



Sam:

“While a lot of the placement has been as I expected so far, a lot of it has been different. For example, I didn't expect such a small office, but it does mean that we all work close together and share ideas in a creative space. Like many of my colleagues, I also didn't think that the ICVs and UKVs would become so friendly so quickly, but its been a really nice experience. The work we've been doing has also been different to what I expected, as our project brief was quite vague, but I'm very happy to be working with these communities and helping them achieve sustainable livelihoods.”




Shaharan:


“With regard to the office, to be frank, I was expecting something a bit bigger, but it’s been great working in a space with the other volunteers. I didn't think it would be difficult relating with the UKVs, as in my line of work I meet a lot of different people every day, it has been very good seeing how well we've gotten along however. In terms of self development, I really feel like I have become more independent, and have developed a good relationship with my host family. Overall, so far so good.”


No comments:

Post a Comment